Friday, June 10, 2011

New and Wonderous Things...

A new challenge begins today at A Day For Daisies and it is to use a digi in a brand new-to-you way.  I wanted to try my hand at coloring on fabric with my copics.  I had some plain white Onesies left over from one of the diaper cakes I made this year so I laundered them and got to work.
I used Tammy's, "New Things," digi  (it's a new release available today AND it's this week's $2 dollar deal!).  I cropped and sized a portion of the image and printed it onto plain computer paper.  I cut out the image and taped it to my light box:  


Next, I pulled the Onesie over the light box and position it over the image: 


Using a copic multiliner, I traced the image onto the fabric: 
Finally, I colored with my copics.  I noticed that the fabric will absorb the ink quickly and it was easy to over saturate it which would make the ink bleed outside the lines.  I found if I just blotted color onto the image working from the middle of the image outward and not quite to the lines, it was much easier to keep the ink from bleeding.  I used my heat gun frequently as I went along to dry the ink which also helped.  If you notice, the purple flower (my first attempt) bled outside the lines:


but as I experimented with the blotting and drying, by the time I made the last onesie (pink flower), there was hardly any bleeding at all: 


I made the box they are displayed in using my Cricut and the Tags, Boxes, Bags & More cartridge (matchbox cut, fit to page) and made a card to complete the set.

So, what new technique will you come up!?  I sure hope you'll give it a try and enter the challenge at A Day For Daisies.  You will want to check out the other inspiration from the ADFD Design Team too :)  Happy Crafting, <3 Lisa

***Edited to ADD - I noticed that the post on A Day For Daisies indicated I used copics to color iron-ons and wanted to clarify that I did NOT use any type iron-on product.  The t-shirt iron-on sheets you can put through your printer cannot be used with your copics because it will ruin the marker nibs!  This is why I opted to trace the image :) ***

2 comments:

  1. Oh these are just PRECIOUS, Lisa! I've never tried coloring on fabric with my Copics. Lwave it to you to think of something cool like this. This set is to adorable for words. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lisa what a fantastic idea! And they turned out so wonderful...hopefully you have someone to give those cute little onesie's to.

    ReplyDelete