Monday, June 18, 2012

Thrifted Finds, June 16, 2012 - Thrifting is Backbreaking Work!

So, I was super-excited about thrifting this weekend because now that the home office is almost complete, I was hoping to find some cool things for it.  I made a quick trip Friday to my retail GW and while browsing, I spied a gorgeous white satin (or frosted) glass lid.  Sadly there was no dish for it to sit atop so I lamented with it in hand for a moment but then placed it back and shelf and continued looking.  There were a few shopping carts sitting nearby that had come out of the back and as I walked by them, I spotted the dish the satin glass lid belonged to - hot dog!  So I reached in to get it and as I was hoisting it up from the depths of the cart, I felt my back spasm very unpleasantly :(  Ugh.  I have been lifting and bending and crouching quite a bit this past week working in the home office so I'm sure my back was grumpy to begin with and a little twist and bend was enough to make it really complain :)  Oh well, it's feeling a little better; once it gets knotted up, I have to keep stretching and coaxing it out of the tangle it's in!  Anyway, here is the culprit behind my discomfort this weekend:


It's 10" tall and it's paneled and it's in perfect condition.  Totally worth the pain - LOL!  I also picked up this acrylic lamp:


I was JUST looking at a lamp like at Lowe's the other night and it was $20 for the base plus the cost of a shade.  This one was $5 and I had a lamp shade that fit it (you'll see it in the office reveal later this week ;) so excited!)

Another cool find for the office -


















This was $1.  The cover is beautiful and the illustrated pages are so cool.

On Saturday, Dan and I went to Richmond.  We got a bit later start; it took a little while for me to get going. I'm so glad we went!


This set is absolutely GORGEOUS.  It's a vintage tea/Saki set by Asahi Japan.  The image is what caught my eye:


I just have to say, 59 cents a pound - this weighed maybe 1.5 pounds - less than $1 for this - SHUT. UP.  Zero cracks, chips, or stains.

And what is a thrift trip without a haul of vintage glass?


Isn't she a beauty?  Hazel Atlas Florentine No. 1 ruffled rim sugar cup produced between 1932-1934.  Perfect.  And because of that fantastic ruffled rim, there is no lid so no missing pieces!  This next dish was a really exciting find also:


1941-1956 Fire-King Sapphire Blue 1.5 qt. casserole dish with knob-handled lid.  "Fire King" is printed in the glass:


Unfortunately, the underside rim of the lid is chipped but should still function all right.  It seems the chipping came from the previous owner and nothing that happened in the bin :)

Has anyone seen these before:


There were 5 of these but #5 was chipped so I just took these four.  We're not whiskey drinkers but these were so darn cool...

I picked up a couple of votive holders:


Mercury glass is always a do and the color of the second one had me at hello.  The fishies did me in - ha!

I have seen that a lot of you find those wonderful "Little Golden Books" and remembered to check the book bins:


Honestly, I didn't have any of these when I was a kid but maybe that's even more of a reason to have them.

After looking through the books, it was time to go and just as we were making our way to check-out, the bell sounded and a load of housewares came out of the back.  We figured we'd take a look.  We waited until the feeding frenzy was over -- it's crazier than a mosh pit at a heavy metal concert -- but good things come to those who wait ;)


Hobnail milk glass is always a win :)  I also got this:


It's been washed and sun-dried and smells oh-so-fabulous. The ric rac trim is the perfect touch!  The SALVO was next and it was a jackpot:


EEEEEE!  No marks and one of the most unique pieces I've found to date!  $3.50 S-O-L-D.  It looks like it's covered in nonpareils!  And then a shelf or two below, this:


I haven't identified it yet.  I am thrilled to have a milk glass basket for $3.  Then I spied these odd scissors:


They were tarnished but still so beautiful!  I have learned they are grape sheers and either silver or silver plate.  I paid $1 for them.

The final stop of the day was at our GW retail.  This Leonard Silver footed platter was wickedly tarnished and took lots of elbow grease and Weiman silver cream...



to make it look this beautiful!  Look at those feet:


These two vases ($1 each) were calling my name.  The aqua color is the same as the paint in my sun room:


Neither vase is marked but I cannot resist anything this shade of aqua ;)  which is why I had to grab this:


It's my first butterprint find and in aqua and for $1 :)

and finally, this really interesting painting.  It was between two pieces of glass and sealed with some kind of tape.  I didn't understand why it was done that way so I took it apart and discovered the painting is actually on glass!  The tape was waterproof - D'OH!  So now, I am on the hunt for some so I can do the same.


If anyone recognizes this artist, would you please let me know?  I'm linking up!

Her Library Adventures, Flea Market Finds
Coastal Charm, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, No. 119
Kathe With an E, You're Gonna Love It Tuesday #9
Cap Creations, Thrifty Love
Apron Thrift Girl, Thrift Share Monday 


Have a great week! <3 Lisa

6 comments:

  1. wow! this is quite the haul! the grape shears are such a romantic object, lovely! :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay! That seals it! I need to travel to where you live and follow you and Dan on your shopping trips!!! I have been there when the mosh pit action happens and it is almost scary!! I will be posting my thrift finds soon but they pale in comparison to yours! Thank you so much for sharing this at the party this week! Now go rest that back so you can get out there and amaze me next week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please come - we would have a ball!! Bring your comfy shoes, hand sanitizer, and shoulder pads 'cause we're going in - LOL! We'd grab coffee & breakfast at 6:30 am and then head out for a full day of thrifting. Do you ever come this way? You simply have to put me on the schedule if you do!

      Delete
  3. Aunt Lisa,
    I love the painting it is so cool!! Those votive holders and the scissors are also very cool! I guess when I come and vist we will go on another shopping trip because you really are finding a lot of cool things! I will bring the hand sanitizer with but I know it will be fun if I am going with you and Uncle Dan!
    Love you
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my dear you will have a blast! This time, we'll take you to Richmond, show you around AND hit all the favorite thrifts. Love you too!!!

      Delete
  4. wow lots of goodies! All the milk glass is fantastic! thanks for sharing at cap creations.

    ReplyDelete