Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Practicing Thriftcraft

Hello Everyone!  I starting decorating for Halloween this weekend using some thrifted finds and a little craft magic.  I have decided to call this practice "thriftcraft" Ha!

Back in April, I spied this cool ceramic Victorian boot.  It reminded me of one I had seen used in a Halloween vignette online. Unfortunately, I saw that cool idea B.P. (before Pinterest) and have no idea where I saw it. *sigh*   Anyhoo, this is what was sitting on the shelf at GW for $1.99:


....and here it is today:


I used Rustoleum's Universal spray paint in "hammered" gloss black.  Once it dried, I added the arrangement.  The black vine branches, striped fabric daisies (with bling in the center!), and green beaded twigs came from Hobby Lobby (40% off) and the glittered spiders ($2.47) and green feather accent ($1) came from Walmart.  I didn't use any floral foam since the branches and flowers were wired but I did hot glue the spiders together with thread in between so I could hang them from the branches.  The "buckle" is actually a Tim Holtz bookplate.  I used a little double-side tape and double, double, toil and trouble, my glam witch boot appeared!



The small round picture frame was a GW find too.  It was pretty rough so I gave it a coat of Rustoleum's hammered black paint also.  I cut out the witch silhouette using my Cricut and the Happy Hauntings cartridge. 



There are two - well, three - more thrifted finds used in my almost-complete Halloween-decorated mantel.  The two vintage crystal lamps and the clock:


The lamps were $75 for the pair.  I was undecided about them at first because 75 smackeroos puts quite a dent in my thrift cash ...ah, but alas, I went back and bought them.  Not only do they work, they are in excellent condition.  I bought them at the Family Thrift Store in Richmond.  The clock was $10 from GW.   It works and the pendulum is my favorite feature!  I am not finished with the mantel just yet so there will be more to come.

I'm linking up!

Kathe With an E, You're Gonna Love It Tuesday #25
Cap Creations, Thrifty Love
What-About.co, Showoff Friday
What-about.co, Perpetual Parades, Favorite Thrifty Finds 
Sir Thrift A lot: Thriftosaurus
The Thrifty Groove:  Thrifty Things Friday
From My Porch to Yours, Treause Hunt Thursday


Have a great week!

7 comments:

  1. Sooo cute! Good eye with the boot and having the vision to create such a fun piece! Love the clock too :-) Thanks for sharing this at the party this week! I featured it on my Facebook page too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boot is adorable...It's perfect for Halloween. So many people are getting their groove on. I am your newest follower. Come by to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the witchy boot! Thanx for sharing at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The boot was absolutely perfect to become a witch's boot! I don't think I would have envisioned it. Great job! Thank you for sharing at Cap Creations. May you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That boot turned out so awesome! What a great find and redo on it. Now I am going to have be on the look out for one this next year for next halloween! Thank you for sharing at TTF. Have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it! So awesome for Halloween! Great find!

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete