Friday, January 6, 2012

Dream...And the Mantel is IN!!!

Hello All!  Well, the fuss and busy pace of the holidays are over and it's time to get back into the swing of crafting.  Woo hoo!  A Day For Daisies has a new challenge beginning today and it's to use pastels.  I used this precious mermaid image from ADFD's new release, "Mermaid of Star."  She's colored with copics and embellished with Stickles.  I framed her using Nestabilities and pastel cardstock from Bazzill.  The "dream" sticker came from the $1 bins at Michaels.  Doesn't she look so magical!?



















Speaking of magic - I am ready to show you the mantel!  Dan and I got it painted, along with the room, and although we still have to finish the trim work,  I HAVE to show you!  For the biggest WOW factor, I need to show the room BEFORE.   We didn't have furniture so the room has sat empty.  Well, except for the junk that collected in there from time to time ;)  It sort of became a catch-all for stuff we didn't feel like taking up or down stairs!

So this is the way the room has looked since we've moved in.  It's funny how long it took us to realize how bland the beige walls were!  The light fixture was chosen months before the house was even framed and most of the ones we picked we've changed.  But I liked the fixture in the living room with the exception of the colored shade which would cast a sickly yellow light when illuminated.  Amazingly, we were able to find the perfect new glass shade so I was able to keep the fixture.  The carpet will be replaced with wood flooring but that's not happening for a while yet.  I know this pics aren't the best but I had to show you the bare bones of a room :)  This first pic shows the blank wall where the mantel was put up and the pic below is the other side of the room.

































Ok so here's the AFTER ...



 Oh I just LOVE it!  The little green chair is going to go; I brought it up from the basement to play around with the placement but another armchair will replace it once I get it.  I still need wall decor and curtains but to see it this far along is so.darn.exciting!!!  Gotta put in another pic of that mantel:

The mirror was pretty worn -- I'm not sure if that's how one describes a de-silvering mirror but I wanted to keep it intact exactly as it came.  Those gorgeous crystal lamps were a Christmas present from Dan (more about that later!).  The hearth is black granite tile but it has a slight sparkle in it - totally gorgeous!  You can see in this picture where trim is  needed around the base of the hearth and around the base of the mantel (where is sits on the hearth).   We painted the mantel with the same semi-gloss the rest of the trim is painted and for the final coat, we added a chemical called, Floetrol, which creates a smooth finish and removes all brush marks, etc.  I love that stuff :)






Here's a close up of the crystal lamps and the ceiling fixture:



And since I've gone pic CRAZZEEEE - here's a shot of the dining room too :)  We still have to paint the trim in here, add wall decor, and curtains for the bay.  

Ok, so that's all for today as I believe I have broke my own record for the most pics in one post :)  I hope you have a great weekend!! Happy Crafting, <3 Lisa


10 comments:

  1. Your mantle is gorgeous! (I just learned that you can spell mantel two ways!) The wall color is wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, how pretty! I love the color you painted with!
    Found you on the Remodelaholics Link Party.
    Great job!

    Leanne @ Because (I think) I can

    ReplyDelete
  3. You couldn't have colored that little mermaid any more perfectly. Beautiful combination of the blue and green paired with her hair--just love it!
    I've been enjoying seeing your "transformation" pictures. Your home looks lovely. Glad you've had fun with the decorating. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! That wall color is beautiful and your mantel is leaving me speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing color! I absolutely love it. The mantel is gorgeous!

    I'd love for you to share at my Show & Tell party. It kicks off on Wednesdays at mrshinesclass.wordpress.com

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a huge difference the wall color makes in your room! Just beautiful! And the fireplace mantel is the perfect addition!
    Great job....dee dee
    Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The new mantel is awesome!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's absolutely fantastic! Looks like a totally different place. Kudos to you and Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for accepting my invitation to the Show & Tell party. I really appreciate it. I hope you will join in the fun as a regular!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete