Friday, April 1, 2011

Easter Delivery - In Stitches Challenge

I cannot believe it's April!  This is a big month for my family --my sister,  husband, step-daughter, and me all have birthdays this month and with Easter in there it makes for a lot of crafting :)  But as you can see, I'm getting a jump on Easter with A Day For Daisies new releases ;)  There is also a new challenge starting today - In Stitches - so I couldn't resist making another embroidered digi for the occasion!  First, let me give you the skinny on the new challenge:

Challenge # 15
Date: April 1st -April 14th
Theme: "In Stitches"
Here's a chance to dust off that old sewing needle and show us your skill. Add stitches to your creation. For those who don't own a needle (or care to dust it off) I have seen some pretty impressive hand drawn stitches, and let's not forget about fantastic rub-ons!

I used this amazing paper-backed crafter's canvas,  "Blumenthal's Photofabric, and printed, "Easter Delivery," on it.  Once the printer ink has dried completely, you remove the paper backing and then run the backside of the fabric under running water to remove any residue from the backing.  Once the fabric dried, I put it in an embroidery hoop and started stitching.  I used DMC embroidery cotton floss (6 strand which I divided and used one strand at a time) --it was on sale for 36 cents/skein AC Moore.  But my favorite floss was "Light Effects" which is pearlescent thread that sparkled!  I used it for the fairy wings and for the "reins" on the butterflies.  Now my image was approx 4" x 4" so I relied heavily on my Ott Light with magnifying attachment to do the tiny stitches.  Also, I tried using some satin floss but since my image was small, it didn't want to lay just right so I stuck with the cotton floss.  For this image, I used mostly "satin" stitches but there is some backstitching and split stitches in there as well.  Once finished, I cut a circle of foam board, ran it through my Xyron and stretched the fabric over it.  Then, using SB nestabilities and Grand Nesties, I created the pink frame using Bazzill cardstock.  I ran the frame through my Xyron too so that not only would it adhere around the image but also to hold the lace in place.  The whole thing is attached to a beach pail I purchased at Michael's for $1.  I cut a piece of printed paper and punched it with an MS border punch to embellish the pail's edge.  So there you have it - a really inexpensive project that I think looks like it cost way more :)  Here are the other images available today:

 I do hope you will give the challenge a try!  Have a lovely day! <3 Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Your stitching is wonderful, Lisa. My mom used doing that, I think I would not have the patience for that. Really gorgeous! Janna