Monday, May 27, 2013

Thrift, Craft, Love

This post has all those things :)

First - Love.  My sister has been here this past week for a visit and it has done my heart good.  We shopped and laughed and cleaned and organized -- we even crafted together!  

Second - Craft.  A friend of hers is having a flip-flop, tie dye-themed birthday party for her 6 year old daughter and wanted invitations.  So, here's what we came up with:


What a great summer theme!  The glittery tie dye card stock and flower brads came from Michael's; the flip flop card was cut using "Life's a Beach" Cricut Cartridge and the rest of the supplies were from my stash.  We made 35 in five colors -- pink, orange, yellow, purple and green.  

My peonies bloomed and they are gorgeous!  I cut a big bunch for a centerpiece:


More love :)  I couldn't stop there; more bloomed so I cut some today too.  The kitchen smells heavenly!



They are all in thrifted vintage flower vases - the first batch is in my favorite milk glass vase (I found it at GW last June), the clear ribbed vase is Randall glass and the rumply clear glass vase is by Brody. 

Shell and I did our share of shopping.  She hadn't been to a Home Goods before --what!? --I couldn't allow that.  Friends don't let friends miss out on HomeGoods.  I got a picture and shelf for my bathroom.  I still do not have the bathroom completely finished.  It's the longest. project. EVER.  But here's a sneak peak:


The sea horse print is pretty cool; the glass has an overlay of the seahorse painted on it in white, kinda like a skeleton.  It's different and neat.  I thought the shelf looked like driftwood and it had hooks for towels which make it a win/win! 

And last but not least - Thrift.

Shell & I thrifted some too.  We hit up a couple local fave places and also took an afternoon to head to Richmond.  Not all the thrift finds are from this past week; I've included some things from the past couple months that I haven't posted.  Like this first find; it came from the GW outlet.

Look at this darling vintage tin:


The bottom is printed with what the little tin contained - Mrs. Leland's Old Fashioned Golden Butter Bits - and it still has a small piece of the "key" attached used to open the lid.


There's quite a few pictures to follow but I want to share the whole scene with you!


Look at that aqua hutch!  The stripes on the dishes and the pot the lady is carrying are done in metallic gold paint which is also used to accent other things throughout the scene.  I love that cat :)





Can you believe it was in an outlet bin?  The graphics are really wonderful.  The aqua lid is what caught my eye and when I saw it was from 1960 I thought "SUPER SCORE!".  Since it was a "household" item, it was less than 59 cents.  I also picked up this book from the outlet for 50 cents.  


I found this Fire King Sapphire Blue trivet (1941-1956) at the Family Thrift Store in Richmond.  The price tag was marked 65% off so I ended up paying only $2.08.


I was particularly delighted to find it since I had thrifted the matching Casserole last June!  A month after I found the casserole dish, I found the 9" pie plate too.  I'm pretty happy to have this set:


This next find was from my thrift trip with Shelly.  I am so excited to find this:


EIT ironstone in the Blue Willlow pattern.  It came from the GW outlet in Richmond.


There are 4 dinner plates, 4 bread & butter plates and 4 coffee mugs.  It was 59 cents/pound.  What a great deal at under $6!  My grandma and my mom had this pattern.  I didn't know there was a story behind the pattern (you can read it here:  Blue Willow Legend) I just remember liking the birds and trees as a kid :)

I dug this out of a bin too - a Pyrex Crazy Daisy lidded refrigerator dish:


It was crazy greasy and dirty!  I don't understand.  Do people just empty the sink or dishwasher into a box to bring to GW?  Shell gave me a doubtful look when I dug it out and did a "woo hoo!"  I told her it wasn't anything a little soaking, a little Bar Keeper's Friend and a healthy amount of elbow grease couldn't tackle.  It was sparkling in no time and Dan used it to make Buffalo Chicken Dip in!

I found some art for our bedroom:


These prints are from Eugene Garin's painting called "Sheltered Cove."  The colors are gorgeous!  I love the way the waves look transparent (it's what his work is noted for).    


I. LOVE. THEM.  It's so moody, isn't it?  The mix of grays, teals, blues, and white look fantastic against the light gray walls.  *swoon*   I painted the frames the dark shade of gray we used to paint our drama wall behind the bed:


It's pretty cool both pictures were still together (though priced separately at $5.99/ea) at our (retail) GW.  They totally caught my eye but had me at the name "Sheltered Cove".   The weather has turned cool these past few nights so I have enjoyed snuggling in under the covers and looking at this scene :)

This next painting was at our GW also:


There isn't a title on this but my sister and I have decided it's the Outer Banks :)  It was $3.99, despite the $35 garage sale tag.  

And finally, this ornament holder and beautiful mercury glass holder from GW:

The ornament holder was originally from Pier One (it came with its original box).  And I bet you can guess why I bought the votive holder - yup, the beautiful color :)

I'm linking up!
Bright Green Door Blog: Get Your "Garage Sale On"
Finding Silver Pennies, Silver Pennies Sundays Link Party
One More Time, Share It One More Time
Mod Vintage Life, Mod Mix Monday #103

8 comments:

  1. The tin is just sweet!!

    Love your beautiful flowers too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of finds, flowers and decorating are awesome - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tin! Perfect for storing shortbread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding Blue Willow at thrift stores is definitely a highlight, isn't it? Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your peonies are fabulous. One of my favorite flowers! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had so much fun "grazing" your blog. So much to see and take in. Your invites are adorable and your peonies are glorious!
    Hugz,
    Roxann

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete