Monday, July 16, 2012

Thrifted Treasures - Teal Glassware!

On Friday I found this great website, The Thrift Shopper.com.  Just by entering either your zip code or state and zip, it will tell you the thrift shops in your area.  It also allows users to provide their reviews and rates the stores according.  It's awesome.  I entered "Richmond, Virginia" and the search results yielded 35 -THIRTY FIVE!!! - thrift locations.  That's a lot of pickin' places :).   We went to 11 of them on Saturday along with and we found another "Antiques" mall which was really mostly vintage pieces with antique pricing!  But, it's always fun to to see some of the things in person that I've drooled over in web searches or books.  OK, let's get to the finds!  Here we go...

1. Goodwill Outlet:


I'm affectionately calling this vase "Gator" glass.  Look at this cool texture:


At first glance it reminded me of the "rumple" vases (from this post) I see often but I did a double take when I realized it looked more reptilian.  The bottom is stamped, "Copyright by Sam Berger 1972."  

Next up, an egg cup and toothpick holder:


The egg cup is marked ARC France and Dan found the little *pink* Imperial Glass urn for me :)

I dug this syrup pitcher out of a bin:


I haven't identified it yet but the scalloped rim, inverted opposing diamond pattern, and lovely shaped handle (oh, and the 59c/lb price tag) meant it was coming home with me.

2.  The Family Thrift Store:


I love the beaded edge on this relish dish.  It looks so much like candlewick!  It was $1.98  Here's the pattern inside:


Last week, I found a pie bird, and this week, I found a pie plate:


A 1941-1956 Fire-King Sapphire Blue 9" pie plate!  I found a matching 1.5 qt casserole dish last month (here) at the GW outlet.  The pie plate was really dirty and I wasn't sure what I would find underneath all of the crud, but for $1, I decided to take a chance.  Look at the beautiful pattern:


The next three thrift stores - SALVO, Retail Goodwill on Midlothian Turnpike, and  RAL (Richmond Animal League) Thrift - yielded no finds.  The next stop, #6, was The Thrifty Quaker where I found this little treat for 50 cents:


This adorable porcelain sleeping kitten was made in the 1950s-1960s in England by the Hungarian artist Joseph Szeiler.  It's signed and oh.so.darling!

The next stop was Diversity Thrift (#7).  As luck would have it, all glassware was 50% off!


I know, more iridescent glasses.  Did I mention they were 50% off?  And four of them are purple!  $5 for all.
The next two stops, 8 and 9, were both SALVOs but the one wasn't completely set up yet (they had just moved into their new building) and I found this at #9:


This is an Indiana Glass Recollection Madrid pattern footed clear hurricane.  It was 60 cents - crazy!  I just found the Madrid tumblers 2 weeks ago (here) in pink.

The last two stops were both retail Goodwill stores - I hit the jackpot!


There are two patterns going on here but they are the same color and it's the color that I HAD to have :)  The luncheon plates are (1957) Indiana Glass Park Avenue pattern (originally a Colony Glass Company mold).  The goblets and sherbets are also by Indiana Glass in their Nouveau pattern (1968).  The color is referred to as blue but it's really more on the teal side - it's just beautiful!


The whole set was $15.  

I thought this was so cool:


Restoration Hardware silver plate penguin candle holder.  Quirky!

Finally, this gorgeous bowl for $3:


I love the painted koi:


I can't wait to see what you found!  I'm linking up!

Kathe With an E, You're Gonna Love It Tuesday #13
Cap Creations, Thrifty Love
Hey What's for Dinner Mom, Penny Worthy Project
Southern Hospitality, Thrifty Treasures Party
What-About.co, Showoff Friday 
From My Front Porch To Yours, Treasure Hunt Thursday
The Thrifty Groove, Thrifty Things Friday

Have a great week!  <3 Lisa

13 comments:

  1. That is a lot of beautiful stuff. That teal is gorgeous! thank you for sharing. I really appreciate your visit. Please come again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds Lisa! I live 1+ hours from Richmond, so we just might be fighting over something at the thrifts, LOL! I'm crazy about glass and you found lots of terrific pieces. Took my friend from D.C. thrifting and we found a set of 20 pcs. Park Avenue. She was my houseguest, so she got them, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those finds are truly amazing and the prices are just unbelievable! thank you for the link - it's a great idea and makes thrifting really convenient!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The teal is just amazing. I love it. It is all I can do to not buy but I have no room for anything else. I do love browsing the blogs for shots like yours. You did good.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I am truly drooling over those teal dishes!! They are just gorgeous and I would have definitely grabbed them up as well. You found some really nice things and thanks for the link, I will have to check that out!

    Have a great night!
    Aledia @ Plum Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Some fab finds and I so love the teal glassware.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you got some wonderful treasures at great prices! I am in love with all that teal! I am going to feature this post on this week's TTF party. I hope you join again and stop by to grab your "I was featured" button for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful pieces Lisa! Thanx for sharing at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your finds--especially the teal glassware and the fish plate :) Gorgeous!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog! Just wanted to let you know that the little girl drawing is from an adorable book called "When I have a little Girl" by Charlotte Zolotow--published in the 60's. My copy is vintage, but unfortunately was in pretty bad shape. I'd definitely recommend buying a copy if that page charges you--its very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooops..."charmed!" if that page charms you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat stuff! I really like the toothpick holder, great color! Thank you for sharing at Cap Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you got some awesome treasures. I absolutely love the teal glassware.
    Blessings, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are something that should be kept in good condition. I also want to have a collection like these.

    ReplyDelete