Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve *AND* New Release Friday at A Day for Daisies!

I cannot believe it is New Year's Eve!  Time goes so fast (except when I'm at work - *snicker*).  I had such a lovely time visiting with my family for Christmas and it is always so hard to leave!  We drove back yesterday - 12 hours in the car...UGH!   It's a nice drive but only when I'm heading to Indiana; coming back always seems longer :)

One of the wonderful things about going home is being able to spend time with my sister.  I love hanging out with her and being able to talk face to face and reminisce and  laugh about stuff - just real quality time!  One of our most memorable times together was a trip we took to the Outer Banks, North Carolina.  Growing up in the mid-west, Shell and I did not have many opportunities to vacation at the beach.  In fact, we were both grown before we even saw the ocean, let alone vacation there.  So it's a special memory for us.  Once I saw the images for the new release this week (find them all HERE), I knew Shelly would love the image of the sisters on the beach and I wanted to make something for her using the image.

The technique I used can be found at Split Coast Stampers and it was super quick and fun.  What was really great is that I needed only a few things to be able to make this and considering I was traveling and didn't have the advantage of my fully-equipped craft room, this project was ideal!  I brought my copics and laptop with me and here are the other things I used:

ADFD digital images, Shells "B" and "E" , and "At The Sea With Sister"
Flameless candles - I got my set at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $9 while "after-Christmas" shopping!
White tissue paper - plenty laying around from Christmas presents
Wax paper (enough just to cover the image) - Mom's kitchen
Heat gun - borrowed my Mom's

I printed the images onto the tissue paper, colored them, and then cut them out leaving about a 1/4" edge all around the image.  I placed the image on the candle where I liked it and then covered it with the wax paper.  Using the heat gun, I melted the wax from the wax paper over the tissue which adhered it to the candle!  Just a word to the wise - the flameless candles are made from wax too and it will melt also so you don't want to heat it too much.  I found that it was much like embossing.  Once my images were colored and cut out, it took literally only a minute to a minute and a half to adhere the images to the candle!

I wish you all the very best for the new year!   Hey Shell - we should plan a beach trip for 2011 too ;)

<3 Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Still scrambling to finish David's birthday card so I just popped by to wish you a fabulous New Year a bit early. We'll be off overnight celebrating. Dying to try one of these candles. What a beautiful set! Wishing you all the best in 2011! xxD

    ReplyDelete