Monday, September 6, 2010

Just a little voo doo...

A few years ago, I entered a costume contest dressed as a voo doo doll (pic below) and I placed second in the category of creative costumes. I couldn't have cared less about the prize (which is a good thing - it was a set of Bride of Chucky dolls!) - the real win for me was that my handmade costume (and the several hours I spent clad in burlap in late August) earned the esteemed title of (albeit, 2nd) Most Creative Costume. Thus began my affection for voo doo doll-themed items (*snicker*)

When I saw Kraftin' Kimmie's Drucilla rubber stamp, I had to have it. She is stamped with Memento ink in tuxedo black and colored with Copics. I used small silver rhinestones for the tops of the pins and the doll's eyes and heart are colored with Glaze pens. The "burlap" pattern was drawn in with prismacolor pencils. I used DCWV cardstock (halloween paper stack) for the card. I have a small sewing machine for scrapbooking so using it, I added stitching around the card. I used My Mind's Eye printed paper to make the paper roses, picture frame (Nestabilities curved rectangles), and card liner. I stamped the sentiment with Anna Griffin gold pigment ink and colored the heart with Stickles and added Glossy Accents as well. It is further embellished with two straight pins with silver glittered heads. The card was finished off with some twine.
***
^The costume: I used dowel rods and styrofoam to make the giant pins (and spray-painted them with silver enamel). I had one through my "heart" and another sticking out of my back. They were stuck through the burlap and then hot glued from the inside and were surprisingly sturdy. I remember I kept whacking people when turning around :D ahhh, the fond memories. I made the mask out of a mens turtle neck (from a thrift shop) and cut out eyes and stitched where needed. My favorite accessory was "X" eye contact lenses! They added an unexpected creepy factor to my overall funny costume --considering my "hands" were oven mitts, I definitely needed a creepy factor boost!

No comments:

Post a Comment