Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Lighted "Light My Life"!

When I saw this digital stamp, Light My Life, from Tiddly Inks, I kept thinking about it and how I wanted to light it up! At first, I thought a battery-operated tealight would be the best thing to use and I set out crafting around that idea. When it came time to throw the switch on the tealight and bask in the glow of my lighthouse, I was sorely disappointed! The tealight just wasn't bright enough for this little beacon!

*Then*

I woke up this morning with another idea!! I remembered I had these little battery-operated LED lights I bought and used for pin lights around a candy buffet I put together last year for a Halloween party. Even though the lights were tiny, they were super bright. It worked!

I printed the digital image three times - twice on Beckett cardstock ( I normally use Gina K Luxury cardstock but it is much thicker and harder to


**fussy-cut so the Beckett worked lovely) and once on a printable transparency. I colored and fussy-cut (**Donna, I got the term "fussy-cut" from you so I want to be sure to give you credit! :)

one image and cut out the windows. I colored the other image on Beckett cardstock but only cut out the windows --this one was my background so I cut around the image using SB Nestie curved rectangles
I layered the transparency between the cardstock images to create the look of clear glass in the lighthouse and windows in the house. I used chalk --powder blue-- to color the sky and I used Glossy Accents mixed with teal and turquoise Pearl Ex for the ocean water.

I placed a craft stick across the back of the card (to mount the light) and used another to create an easel stand. I secured these with a small amount of hot glue.

Ahhhh, finally, my lighthouse DOES Light My Life!!!

***

Kim - I hope you are reading but I read your comment about wanting to know about how I made the paper high heels and where I got the template. I checked the link--Carlos N. Molina website - I put in my blog post and it looks like Mr. Molina is in the process of upgrading his website. Hopefully he will have it back up and running soon!!!! I was able to purchase the template and watch his tutorial as to how to use it, etc. I figure it's a good sign he's upgrading; I hope it means he'll have more templates and tutorials for more shoes ;) !!

6 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! Is this ever cute!!!! Great "fussy cutting" LOL and the light is just super fantastic! How amazingly creative! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey chickie, where you be? I left something on my blog for you. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a terrific project, I too love using the lites. Great idea. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. LISA! This is so hot! (I know I'm late, but I'm new to your blog...) Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete