I love shoes! Stilettos, high heels, kitten heels, flats --all shapes and styles --doesn't matter, I'm there!
A co-worker of mine has the most adorable, gorgeous shoes and she is quite the fashionista. So, when I heard it was her birthday I knew what her cake topper was going to be! I made these amazing little paper high heels from a template created by the "Paper Genius," Carlos N. Molina.
For my heels, I chose to use Bazzill silver cardstock for the sole and Bazzill cardstock (grasscloth), blackbird, for the bottom of the shoe. Ok, so this is genius - to make the shoe easier to shape and also so it can hold its shape, Mr. Molina tapes 22 gage wire to the bottom layer of cardstock! Since my top was the Bazzill silver which is thinner than other Bazzill cardstock, when I would glued the layers together, the outline of the wire was visible so I decided to layer another piece of thin black cardstock (Best Occasions) under the silver. It worked beautifully!
The second small modification I made to the instructions was to use 1.5" (rather than 2") wired ribbon because the party pattern was damask print and I could not find any 2" damask wired ribbon! I used Prima paper flowers embellished with a bead center--the same red beads as in the heel. The final modification was to use larger beads and a hot glue gun to secure the heels. I also place a dot of hot glue on my stick-free mat and push the heel into it which created a small, flat edge to the heel. It was also slightly sticky so it helped the shoe stand up. The purse was cut from Bazzill cardstock (blackbird) using Cricut Expressions and the Tags, Bags, Boxes, & More cartridge. I lined the "flap" of the purse and the side pieces with the ribbon used for shoes --this is when Tacky Tape comes in really handy! The handle is wire with the same beads as the heel. I used Bazzill embossed cardstock (raven) for the background of the sentiment (cut out using a Nestibilities circle), "Happy Birthday" Sizzix Birthday Set #3 and I fussy cut it out and taped it to the embossed paper. Now since this little set was a cake topper (but also a little keepsake!) I didn't want the items placed directly into the frosting, so using a piece of plastic from the cake lid and a Styrofoam plate, I created a small platform. I cut the foam plate (using the Nestie circle again) and embossed it using the Cuttlebug Textile Texture embossing folder (it looked like damask to me!).
I really enjoyed making this little set and I will be making more of them after the party! I think they would be so precious for party favors for a bridal shower or any girly-girl party!
I think may post may be too picture heavy for my blog --I am still trying to figure out about posting layouts, etc. but I wanted to get as many angles as I could! I also need to figure out how to better arrange the photos...I have a feeling that means using the html feature and that makes me a little nervous :D...Someday, I will have better pics and a better layout!